Saturday, January 17, 2009

Crowds

Last night I went to see Oliver in the west end with my parents. It was, on the whole, great. The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, is the most renowned theatre in the world. My dad was company manager there for 4 years, so it was kind of odd for him to be going as an audience member. Rowan Atkinson was fabulous as Fagin. He got a massive cheer as he made his first appearance, and stole the show with "Reviewing the Situation." Burn Gorman (Owen Harper in Torchwood) also impressed me as the flawed and foul Bill Sikes, especially considering this is is first musical. Gwion as Oliver was as good as he could be, since Oliver as a part is a complete wet blanket. Although the title role, Oliver's only there as a pawn for all the other pieces to move around. The Artful Dodger was far more interesting to watch, and in my opinion the boy playing him had far more charisma and charm.

The only slight let-down was Jodie Prenger as Nancy. It was quite funny that in the programme there was so little to say about her past career they wrote "and in 2005 Jodie won first prize in a weight-loss competition: Britain's Biggest Loser." She wasn't appauling, but "as long as he needs me" wasn't nearly as moving as it should have been, and she actually couldn't sing the end of Oom Pa Pa. At least she didn't completely mess it up though, but my mum was saying how being inexperienced vocally means she doesn't have the stamina to carry all the big numbers off every night, which was shown pretty clearly last night. And, even funnier, they've got another actress to play Nancy for 2 nights every week, because Jodie can't manage the full 8 shows! (like everyone else can and does.)

I don't like the London commute. I don't know how Dad does it every day. Everyone is so grumpy! It was so crowded in Covent Garden tube station they had to shut the barrier so that people wouldn't start falling in front of the trains. I found an effective way of dealing with this though: When we were all crowding around, trying to get in the lifts that would take us up to ground level I started loudly and frequently mentioning the opening sequence of "Speed." (a lift gets sabotaged and almost blown up.) People gave me a wide berth from that point on. I was tired on the way home so my mum bought us some Yum Yums from M&S in King's Cross to eat on the train.

I'm looking forward very much to tonight. My friends are wonderful. I only wish Becky could come, but it's not my decision! Becky spoke to me briefly this morning. It was good to see her (her dad has a webcam) and her hair looks great. Actually, why do I always talk about Becky in the third person? She's one of only about 10 people who read this, so I'll write this too. Becky, your hair looks great! You are wonderful in every way. :D  

Izzy's been talking to me this morning too. She is an amazing person, and my longest-standing friend (11 years now!) It's good that I have such strong friends (and I think particularly of Izzy, Helen, Josh and Jamie here) to rely on. Thank you very much.

Wow, haven't I waffled! You all love it really! ;)


1 comment:

Matty said...

i always read your blogs alex XD